North Berwick Law is a volcanic plug, formed around 340 million years ago in the Carboniferous Era, which rises imperiously above the small coastal town of North Berwick.
It sits 613 feet (187 metres) above sea level and provides superb panoramic views of East Lothian. A whale’s jawbone was placed on the summit in 1709 – it was replaced with a fibreglass replica in 2008.
In 2013, a number of Exmoor Ponies were introduced to help the quality of the grasslands. The conservation scheme aims to improve the conditions on the grasslands to encourage wild flower growth as the ponies graze on the coarser grasses. Visitors are encouraged to keep their dogs under control and to keep their children close by.
There is a small car park at the foot of the Law where free parking is available. A number of sloping paths wind their way to the top.